martes, 5 de octubre de 2010

Entry Numero Uno

As someone who was raised in an "anti-blog environment" (incidentally, thanks for that, brothers), I feel the need to start this thing off with a disclaimer: "I will not use this medium to rant about right wing politics, overdramatize the suckiness of my life, publish really lame poetry that no one else "gets," or share the private minutia of my daily inner thought life with the entire world, assuming that others are just as absorbed with me as I am with myself."

That being said, I think it might be fun - for me and even for you, my friends and family, and maybe even you, my creepy friend of a friend who needs to find better hobbies - to share in some of the stuff that's going on in and around me here in this, the Mexican Phase of Ruth. Some themes in future posts may include cultural observations, fun facts, complaints about the bus system, the struggles of moving to a third world country alone, and the ways I'm seeing God show himself to me through it all.

Out of laziness and lack of cool things to say, I probably won't update too frequently...we'll see how this goes. In the meantime, here's an update to bring you up to speed.

Brief recap of the past 3.5 weeks: Walking [stumbling around in the dark] by faith.

Slightly less brief recap of the past 3.5 weeks:

overwhelm, alone, desperate, utterly dependent, depressed, tired, confused, out of place, anxious, many long Spanish novels on many long bus rides, searching for work online, on the phone, on foot (mostly), consuming mountains of taquitos, feeling incompetent, lost in the void, well taken care of, always provided for, accepting, surrendering, grateful, hopeful. All on a daily basis. Except the taquito mountians. I've been trying to cut back on that.

Where I'm at right now:

I currently work afternoons and evenings Mon-Sat at an English school for all ages (kids - seniors) in one of the suburbs of the city about 20 minutes south of downtown and about 1 hour and 30 minutes (by bus) south of where I'm still living with my friend's family. It's a very laid back, low pressure environment, and although the system/set up is far from perfect, I'm enjoying it, and really grateful to be have a place to be and work to do.

As far as my living situation, the hunt continues. I have contacted/looked at so many places all over this crazy city that are either too ghetto, too expensive, too far, or already taken by someone else. I am really, really ready to have a home again, to be able to start creating a life for myself here.

Until then, I'm still staying with my freind's family who live in the wealthiest, farthest away neighborhood in the city, and who have, for all practical purposes, adopted me. The enormity of their genorisity, warmth, and hospitality towards me (a total stranger when we first met) has been an incredible provision straight from the Divine and also really hard for me to accept, considering I can't do anything to earn it and they wouldn't dream of letting me "repay" them for it, even if I could. But a friend who had a similar experience abroad reminded me recently that to resist their generosity would be to deny them the joy of being a blessing.

It's hard to let go of my pride though. But good. (But hard.)

Wow, I see how these things can get lengthy fast...so I'll end there for now. Miss you guys. Very, very much.

5 comentarios:

  1. Ruth, will be good to follow your sojourn and experiences. Still remember the dinner many years ago in Orlando.

    Rod & Jean Bahnson
    rod-jean.blogspot.com

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I love your blog so far! It's so you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, heart, and activities. You are a most excellent writer, Maestra Larsen ;)
    I especially like your daily struggle--not that you are struggling, for that hurts me as it hurts you, but that it is a struggle that you are not alone in and that you do not give up. The One you are struggling together with is on your side and is fighting for you. Passionately. I heard it even in what you shared with me on the phone last night.
    Your really brief re-cap of the past 3.5 weeks is beautiful. I pray you continue to walk/stumble in exactly that fashion--in faith! Love you and praying for you!
    P.S. the fact that things are in Spanish makes me want to write in Spanish...but I can't. lol I want to learn! :D
    This is for you:
    "Y en esto conocemos que somos de la verdad, y tenemos nuestros corazones certificados delante de él. Porque si nuestro corazón nos reprendiere, mayor es Dios que nuestro corazón, y conoce todas las cosas." I Juan 3:19-20

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hey Che Güeravera,

    Ruth IV: The Mexican Phase was actually a pretty decent low budget 80's action film, I'm glad you could reference that.

    So proud of your initiative and bravery out there. I like your word-list paragraph, as long as you keep any poetry in that form I'm in!

    Make sure to take more "you" time... hopefully less bus time in the future will help, as that is not the highest quality "you" time ; )

    Hasta la Siyu...

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Ruth, I keep forgetting to comment on this! Sorry for the delay.

    I'm really happy and excited for you--even though the journey hasn't been at all what you expected, you are sharing some experiences and sights that most people will never get to see, and I know that your struggle will make you a wiser, more confident person.

    I'm really happy that you found a job--that's one thing I definitely haven't done yet!--and I know that you'll find a place of your own soon. And sounds like that wealthy family's house is not a bad place to stay in the meantime!!

    I'm glad you are blogging about your experiences--it's good, not only for us to keep up with you, without you telling the same story over and over (I know how that feels!) but also for you, so you can look back at all the craziness that you were going through at this time in your life.

    Good luck, Ruthiver! I know things will start to get better soon. We're all thinking about you! :D :D

    Wow, sorry for the long message! haha

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I found your blog. Sigh. Thankfully...I know that things have gotten a little easier for you, but let me just say...you are one beautiful and brave girl. I'm praying for you!

    ResponderEliminar